What is Dissociative Amnesia?
Individuals suffering from memory loss should discuss their symptoms with a psychiatrist in Lahore. The specialist will conduct relevant tests to diagnose the cause and provide information regarding the latest and most effective treatment plan. It will help them function adequately in every aspect of life.
Dissociative amnesia is a mental condition in which the person cannot recall the previous prominent events in their life. They cannot think of the facts and experiences, which causes anxiety. Women above fifty are at a high risk of suffering from dissociative amnesia and related complications. The caregivers who notice that the person cannot recall the prominent events from their life should seek professional help.
The symptoms of dissociative amnesia are:
- The person cannot think about their previous life. They cannot recall important information such as their job, marriage, and children.
- The person cannot focus and learn new information.
- The person remains disoriented, which can affect their performance.
- The person suffers from confabulation, in which the person cannot differentiate between fabricated and original information.
The known causes of dissociative amnesia are:
- The brain inflammation can affect memory and lead to dissociative amnesia.
- People who take benzodiazepines are at a higher risk of suffering from dissociative amnesia.
- People above fifty should remain vigilant regarding their physical health. People are at a higher risk of suffering from brain tumors that can affect their memory.
- People with Alzheimer’s, brain hypoxia, and dementia are more likely to suffer from memory loss that affects their overall functioning.
- Hypothyroidism and sepsis can affect brain function and lead to memory loss.
- People who have been through a traumatic event or an accident are more likely to suffer from dissociative dementia.
The preventative measures that can help reduce the chances of suffering from amnesia and related complications include:
- People must remain conscious and have a healthy lifestyle. It is essential to limit the intake of alcohol which can hinder the functioning of vital organs and lead to amnesia.
- People must take vitamin B in their daily diet to prevent dissociative amnesia and related complications.
- People with prior medical conditions must take proper treatment to avoid complications. Aldo, people with recurrent infections should not delay their treatment that may cause permanent brain damage.
- Individuals suffering from dissociative amnesia may remain agitated. They may not be able to interact with others and recall events from their past. It can be permanent and affect their relationships.
The tests that help diagnose an individual with dissociative amnesia are:
- The specialist will conduct a physical examination to check the body’s reflexes.
- The blood testing helps assess the thiamine levels that correlate with amnesia.
- The imaging testing, such as a CT scan, helps identify the brain changes. It helps detect the tumor that may have led to dissociative amnesia.
- The electroencephalogram test helps detect the abnormality in the brain activity that may have led to memory loss and related complications.
The effective treatment options include:
- Dietary Supplements: The individual who has been suffering from memory loss due to vitamin deficiency takes supplements. The person may start to remember the prominent information from their past.
- Occupational Therapy: The psychiatrist will help the individual recall their memories. The information and close items will be shown to the person to create the links and fill in the gaps. The pictures from the past can help the individual recall their friends, personal life, and other relevant information. However, the psychiatrist will take small steps and may require multiple sessions, as the person may get overwhelmed, which can lead to further complications.
Individuals who notice their close ones suffering from memory loss should visit Dr. Aafia Malik. The competent and reliable specialist will help provide information regarding the therapy that can be helpful in remembering the past. It will help them function adequately in their personal and professional life.