It’s no secret that moving house can be stressful. From packing up all your belongings to the exhaustion of moving day – not to mention having to then unpack everything again – there’s a lot to organize and do. The good news is that there are some easy steps you can take to help ensure that your move goes as smoothly as possible. From hiring in some help to packing like a professional, here are some top tips.
Pick the right property
The first piece of advice comes into play long before you actually move house. In order to feel excited and positive about your relocation, you need to be sure that you buy (or rent) the right property for you. To do so, ensure that you use an expert real estate website to find your dream house. For instance, if you’re hoping to move to Woodend, Victoria, then broadhurstproperty.com.au/suburb/woodend/ is the place to look. That way, when moving day rolls around, you will know that you’ve got a fantastic new home waiting to welcome you!
Hire a moving company
Unless you live by yourself with no furniture, you’re probably going to struggle to transport all of your belongings from one property to another. You can save yourself a lot of physical exertion and mental stress by simply hiring a moving company to take care of the task for you. There are lots of options available to suit different budgets, so you can decide whether you just want some people to transport your boxes or would prefer them to actually pack everything up for you too.
Declutter in advance
Switch up your mindset by looking at your house move as an opportunity to get rid of items that you no longer want or use. Start early so you don’t feel rushed, and take it one room at a time. Most of us have belongings that are simply taking up space and gathering dust, and you might be surprised by how much junk you own! You can either throw items away, donate them to charity, or try to make a little bit of cash by selling them online. The key point is to do all of this decluttering before you move, so you have fewer things to pack and take with you to your new home.
Pack like a pro
When it comes to the actual process of packing your belongings, there are several tactics you can use to make the experience a breeze. For example:
- Label boxes clearly with what’s inside and what room they should go in
- Rather than unpack all your drawers, simply cover them in plastic wrap so they can’t fall open in transit (remove any valuable or fragile items first!)
- Keep clothes on their hangers, group a few similar-sized items together, and then slip a trash bag over them to ensure they stay clean
- Put any items that are especially valuable in your car with you rather than in the moving van
- Have a box with your first night essentials all stored together, so when you arrive, you can unpack that first and not worry about having to hunt for your toothbrush or cellphone charger!