As the holder of a British Citizen passport, you do not need a visitor visa to enter NEW ZEALAND VISA FOR UK CITIZENS, provided your stay period in the country does not exceed six months. 

However, you do need to obtain a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA) before you travel.

You can apply for a NZeTA online or through a free app on Google Play or Apple Store after the payment of a fee, amounting to NZD $12 (online) and NZD $9 (mobile apps). 

Additionally, you need to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) of NZD $35 during the application process.

A NZeTA holds a validity of up to two years. It usually takes around 72 hours to be processed and you can use it multiple times to enter New Zealand within the two-year span.

After being granted a NZeTA, you need to present some mandatory documents upon arrival. You must be able to prove that you intend to visit the nation for recreation, tourism, or non-income-generating business purposes. 

You should also carry your British Citizen passport that is valid for at least 6 months and has a minimum of 2 blank pages.

On arrival, you shall also be asked to present an onward ticket and display proof of having sufficient funds to support you during your stay. If you already have a New Zealand residence permit or a temporary visitor visa, you do not need a NZeTA to visit the nation.

You cannot use a NZeTA to work in New Zealand. You need to follow the country’s immigration rules, which we shall cover in subsequent sections. Again, a NZeTA is not granted if you are traveling for medical purposes or hold a criminal record.

Once you arrive at the airport, you must fill a Passenger Arrival Card prior to passing through Customs Passport Control. A passenger arrival card is issued to travelers during the flight. Otherwise, this card is also available at arrival ports.

Entry rules for foreigners residing in the UK

You can enter New Zealand only with a NZeTA if you belong to any of the visa-waiver nations, are traveling on a cruise ship, or you are a permanent resident of Australia.

A NZeTA is also valid if you are passing via Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on the way to or from Australia. Additionally, it is also applicable if you are transiting through Auckland International Airport to another country and belong to a visa waiver or transit visa waiver country.

You can check the complete list of visa-exempt territories here.

If you are not a citizen of any of the visa-exempted nations, you need to secure a visa prior to your travel to New Zealand. 

A visitor visa grants you a stay of up to nine months and it allows you to visit New Zealand for adventure, amateur sports, tourism, or for meeting friends and family.

You can also use it to study in the nation for up to three months. You may also include your partner or kids (under 19 years) in the visa application form.

In order to apply for a visitor visa, you will need:

  • A completely filled visa application form
  • A passport or identity document from your native country
  • 2 passport-size photographs
  • A health certificate
  • A police certificate assuring your good conduct
  • Proof that you have NZD $1000 per month if you are staying without accommodation and NEW ZEALAND VISA FOR GERMAN CITIZENS $400 per month if you have pre-arranged accommodation
  • A comprehensive medical insurance
  • Proof of onward travel

Note: If you wish to study in New Zealand (for a period exceeding 3 months), you need to apply for a study visa. For work-related activities, you need a work visa. For business purposes, you require a business visa. For special purposes like a work assignment or as a spouse or partner, you need a special category visa.

You can apply for a visitor visa online or even submit a paper application.

Work visas and permanent residence

If you are traveling to New Zealand to take up long-term employment for a period of a few years or you wish to settle in the nation, you need to secure a work or resident visa. Of course, you need to get a job in New Zealand first before applying for one. For a UK national with a confirmed job, here are the work visa options.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

The government of New Zealand accepts UK Emergency Travel Document (ETD) at points of entry, provided it is accompanied by a permanent residence permit or work or study visa. You can also use an ETD when you are traveling for a vacation, only when New Zealand is not the final destination. Immigration authorities also accept ETDs during airside transit and exit from New Zealand.

Additional pointers

New Zealand follows extremely strict rules when it comes to biosecurity regulations. You cannot import foodstuffs that are deemed illegal by law. These include meat and meat products, honey, fruits, and dairy products. 

If you break these regulations, you might have to face strict penalties.

Again, you should also be careful when importing items such as wood products, golf clubs, footwear, tents, fishing equipment and items made from animal skin. The complete details will be present in the immigration arrival card.

If you are doubtful of what you are carrying, it is recommended to declare such items to a Ministry of Agriculture official or maybe even discard them in the bins available inside the airport. Failure to follow these rules can lead to fines of up to $100,000 or even imprisonment.

New Zealand also follows certain restrictions on bringing medication into the nation. If you are carrying prescription medicines, you have to declare it on your passenger arrival card.